Eligibility for Coverage


You are eligible to enroll if you are:                                       

  • A regular full-time, part-time or temporary Board of Regents-appointed employee
  • Assigned to work a minimum of 20 hours per week, and
  • Working on an appointment lasting a minimum of five consecutive months

You are eligible for benefits on the first day of the month following your date of hire (or the first of the month if you begin employment on the first day of the month)

Your Spouse

Your spouse under a legally valid marriage which follows the criteria listed below:

  • Any legally recognized marriage
  • A common-law union that began in Idaho prior to January 1, 1996
  • Common-law relationship that is valid in another state and is recognized by Idaho State Laws

Your Children

A child under the age of 26; For purposes of the plan, a "child" means your:

  • Biological child
  • Legally adopted child or child placed with you for adoption
  • Stepchild
  • Child for whom you are the legal guardian
  • Child who is required to be covered by a Qualified Medical Child Support Order (QMSCO)

Coverage will terminate for your child on his or her 26th birthday, unless he or she is incapable of self-support because of a physical or mental disability that began prior to age 26.  You must apply for this continuation within 31 days after the child reaches age 26.

Other Eligible Adult

You may now enroll a qualified Other Eligible Adult for medical benefits effective January 1 2013 . For the purposes of the Plan, a "qualified other eligible adult" is defined as someone who is:

  1. Age 18 or older and mentally competent to consent and
  2. Not legally married to anyone, and
  3. Residing in the employee's household for the previous six continuous months, and
  4. Financially interdependent with the employee (for example, have joint checking account or joint utility bills,) which can be demonstrated upon request by providing proof of existence of at least two of the following:
    • A joint mortgage or lease or other evidence of common residence such as joint utility bills
    • Durable property or health care power of attorney
    • Joint checking account/credit account
    • Designation of each other as the primary beneficiary in a will, life insurance policy, or retirement plan

Restrictions for Other Eligible Adult

An Other Eligible Adult may not be related to the employee through any of the following relationships:

  1. Parent
  2. Parents' other descendants (siblings, nieces, nephews)
  3. Grandparents and their descendents (aunts, uncles, cousins)
  4. Renters, boarders, tenants, employees
  5. Children or their descendants (children, grandchildren)

In order to add an Other Eligible Adult to your medical plan, a Qualification Affidavit must be completed, notorized and uploaded to the myBenefits website. To do this simply log in to the myBenefits site via VandalWeb and click on view/upload documents in the myTools window. Other Eligible Adults and/or their dependents may be added to the plan only during a life event, like losing other coverage. Click the link below to download the affidavit in PDF form.

Qualification Affidavit of Other Eligible Adult

Affidavit of Termination of Qualification of Other Eligible Adult

Adding a non-tax dependent to your health insurance coverage may have tax consequences. Click the link below to learn more about Imputed Income for Other Eligible Adults.

Other Eligible Adult Tax Implications

What if your spouse is a University of Idaho employee?

A participant cannot be covered as both an employee and as a dependent.  If your spouse is employed in a benefits-eligible University position:

  • One employee can waive medical coverage and be covered as a dependent spouse of the other
  • Each employee can enroll in employee only coverage

If you and your spouse have dependent children, all of your dependent children will be covered under only one employee's plan.