The Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) is a volunteer officer training program that allows Army National Guard and Army Reserve enlisted members to also participate in the Advanced ROTC Program. Upon completion of Basic Training, a Reserve Component soldier who is an academic junior, can join the Advanced ROTC program and earn a commission as an officer in the United States Army while completing their college degree. In addition, contracted non-scholarship cadets and Reserve Force Duty scholarship cadets can join a Reserve Component unit and the SMP. The Intent of the SMP is to increase officer accessions into the Reserve Compnents by increasing ROTC enrollment from the enlisted Reserve Component members who are attending college. What does SMP mean to you?
- An opportunity to gain a commission while going to college and serve in a Reserve Component Unit
- Hands-on management/leadership training
- $250/month ROTC stipend plus E-5 pay while at drill
- Annual Training and Advanced Camp pay
- Montgomery GI Bill and tuition waiver
- An opportunity to win a 2-year Reserve Forces Duty scholarhsip
- A future as an officer on Active Duty or Reserve Duty
- Opportunity for volunteer training in Airborne, Air Assault, Northern or Mountain Warfare Training
- Tuition Assistance Program
Who is eligible?
- Has completed Basic Training or equivalent (see Basic Camp )
- Has junior standing at his/her school
- Is physically qualified
- Is under 30 years of age when commissioned (waiverable to age 34)
- Has a GPA of 2.0
- Has four years left on current military obligation (if applicable)
- Is a full time student
- U.S. citizen
Upon completion of the ROTC program, the officer has an eight year obligation which can be served on Active Duty, in the Reserve Forces, or a combination of the two.
How Do I Start?
You start by contacting us at:
Department of Military Science
University of Idaho
PO Box 442424
Moscow, ID 83844-2424
or calling (208) 885 - 6528 or 1-888-884-3246 ext 0 and ask for the Army ROTC.
We will help you find a unit (if you don't have one already) and process all the necessary papers to enroll you in the SMP program.