Vandal Butternut Squash Coconut Milk Soup
By Erin Henszey
This soup is the perfect addition to any Thanksgiving meal! The tantalizing spices ring in the taste buds with a delightful flavor of curry that usually does not make an appearance on the holiday table. The real treat is the smooth and velvety finish of the coconut milk. It shows true Vandal pride with the most perfect gold color. Try this recipe this year and it will surely become the new family favorite tradition!
- Yield: 8 servings
- Portion: 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds diced butternut squash
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk (one can)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Stovetop: Medium heat, low heat to simmer and serve.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the butternut squash and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once the squash is tender, remove from heat and blend ingredients (blender or food processor)
- Return ingredients to low heat and stir in coconut milk. Add ginger and curry powder. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve as an appetizer to the Thanksgiving feast!