The Vandal Dome
By Melanie Leija and Christina Belarde
Welcome, Ladies and Gentlemen! Welcome to the Vandal Dome, the home of the Mighty Vandals. This dish represents our Mascot Joe Vandal because it is equipped for the diet of a strong and mighty athlete. It has high protein content thanks to the Palouse’s powerful lentils. In addition, this lentil loaf contains vegetables because Joe is a role model for all Vandals and consumes a well-balanced diet approved by the University of Idaho dietetics students. This dish, with a dollop of cranberry sauce, is perfect for the holiday season. It reminds Joe of holidays at his home and proves to be a delicious dish any Vandal would be excited to enjoy at Thanksgiving.
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- ½ packet dry vegetable soup mix
- 1/3 cup dried bread crumbs
- 6 slices of wheat bread, torn
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbs. tomato paste
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup Cranberry Sauce
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups lentils
- Boil lentils until soft.
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease glass bread pan.
- Mix together basil, garlic powder, pepper, parsley, olive oil, soup mix, bread, eggs, broth, tomato paste, dried cranberries, lentils and walnuts.
- Bake loaf mixture for 40 minutes.
- Take loaf out at 30 minutes and add breadcrumbs.
- Place loaf back into oven for 10 minutes.
- Let loaf cool, and cut into 6 servings.
- Drizzle with Cranberry Sauce (optional)