- 12 muffin cups
- 3 cups blackberries
- 2 lemons
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/8 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F and adjust oven rack to the upper-middle position.
- Place muffin cups in muffin tin and set aside.
- Measure out 3 cups of blackberries. Cut larger berries in half using a chef’s knife.
- Zest two lemons into a small bowl. Set aside 1 tablespoon of lemon zest for a garnish.
- Squeeze the juice from one lemon into another bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk sugar and eggs together until homogenous and thick. Slowly add melted coconut oil and whisk until combined. Whisk in buttermilk, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Fold egg mixture and blackberries into flour mixture using a rubber spatula. The batter will appear lumpy with a few dry spots. Take caution not to overmix.
- Using an ice cream scoop, portion batter into muffin cups. The batter should fill the cups and mound slightly.
- Apply streusel topping to each muffin.
- Place full muffin tin in oven and bake until muffins are golden brown or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed with only a few crumbs attached (17-19 minutes)
- Allow muffins to cool in tin for 5 minutes before transferring muffins to a wire rack for an additional 5 minutes of cooling.
- Garnish with remaining lemon zest and serve.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, and flour.
- Add melted coconut oil and toss with fork until mixture is evenly moistened. Mixture will form pea-sized pieces throughout.