A delicious combination of quinoa, corn, black beans, onion, green chiles, cilantro, and zesty spices make our “Mighty Vandals’ Touchdown Quinoa Bites” a perfect snack for a family to eat while watching Thanksgiving Day football and waiting for the traditional dinner feast. Cooked quinoa is mixed with corn, black beans, green chiles, minced garlic, and freshly chopped cilantro and onion to create the base of this mix. Chili powder, cumin, oregano, and paprika are combined to make an easy, yet healthy version of taco seasoning that adds brave and bold flavor to these little bites. The golden corn and gold color of the quinoa symbolize Vandal gold, the black beans show the black Vandal accent color, and silver liners represent Vandal silver in a beautiful combination of Vandal spirit. Packed with protein, fiber, veggies, and brave and bold flavors, “Mighty Vandals’ Touchdown Quinoa Bites” are sure to be a new family favorite for Thanksgiving Day football.
- Whitney Beck and Jill Meredith
Yield: 24 bites
Bake: 15-20 minutes or until golden brown
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs or Corn Flake crumbs (for gluten free)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fiesta blend shredded cheese
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs and add chopped cilantro and diced onions.
- Mix together remaining ingredients, gently folding in cooked quinoa.
- Distribute mixture into a muffin pan with greased silver liners and press down gently to compact. Sprinkle extra cheese on top if desired.
- Bake for recommended time and serve warm. Enjoy!