Vandal Gold Potato Cakes with Gingered Cranberry Chutney
Ever wonder what to do with those piles of leftover mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce from Thanksgiving dinner? Show your Vandal pride by taking those Idaho potatoes and giving them a little kick, Joe Vandal style! This twist on classic potato cakes brings a delightful spiced Moroccan flavor, laced with the crisp taste of autumn in a cinnamon and ginger cranberry chutney sauce. Whether you are new to ethnic food or simply impartial to Thanksgiving’s traditional staples of mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce, this tasty treat is sure to satisfy anyone’s palate! The versatility of flavors allows you to serve the potato cakes as an appetizer, side dish, or savory dessert. This simple yet colorful recipe is sure to give your taste buds a surprise.
- Natalie Colla and Rebekah Favia
Yield: 8 Portion: 4 (2-inch) potato cakes
Cook Time: 30 minutes (if mashed potatoes already done)
- 1 cup cranberry sauce (or make your own with fresh cranberries)
- ½ of a Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- 2 tsp. orange juice
- ¼ cup currants
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
Ingredients (Potato Cakes):
- 10 Dutch yellow baby potatoes (or about 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes)
- 2 Tbsp. butter (omit if using prepared mashed potatoes)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ Tbs. McCormick Moroccan Seasoning (or make your own with cinnamon, cumin, coriander, ginger, cardamom, black pepper, paprika, and turmeric)
- ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- In a medium saucepan, combine cranberry sauce, diced apple, orange juice, currants, and spices.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer 10 minutes. You may need to add a little water.
- You should be able to taste the ginger in the chutney; adjust spices to taste.
- Chill and set aside.
Directions (Potato Cakes):
(If using prepared mashed potatoes, skip step 1).
- Add potatoes to a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook in water until soft and easily mashed (about 30 minutes). Mix with butter.
- While potatoes are cooking, combine garlic, onion, and olive oil in a skillet. Sautee over medium heat until just softened. Set aside. When potatoes are done, drain and transfer to a large bowl. Mash until they form a soft mass. Add sautéed onions and garlic, Moroccan seasoning, black pepper, and sea salt to the potatoes and mix gently. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Form potatoes into 2” patties and place back on skillet with additional olive oil. Fry on each side until browned. Remove potato cakes from heat and serve immediately by drizzling the chilled chutney over top. Enjoy!