Thanksgiving is one of America’s favorite holidays. Each family has unique traditions and dishes for the special day, and Idahoans are no different. Vandals are famous for starting traditions; this is why the Vandal Golden Turkey Sandwich is the perfect new edition to the day-after Thanksgiving leftover meal! Why should all of the great taste end on Thanksgiving? Continue the feast with the Vandal Golden Turkey Sandwich until the leftovers have run out! A vandalized version of the Monte-Cristo sandwich, this sandwich is a combination of leftover tantalizing turkey; colorful and antioxidant filled cranberries; iron rich spinach; and topped off with flavorful fontina cheese. Golden to perfection (just like all us vandals), this sandwich will be sure to have your taste buds running wild with I-D-A-H-O spirit!
- Renell Cronk, and Katie Swanson
Yield: 4 portions
Portion: 1 Sandwich
Stove Top: Medium Heat
Prep/cook time: 18 minutes
8 slices of potato bread
1 cup fontina cheese, grated
8 slices cooked turkey breast
½ cup whole cranberry sauce
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
- On each slice, place 2 tablespoons of the fontina, followed by 2 slices of turkey, and 2 tablespoons of the cranberry sauce.
- Equally divide the spinach leaves and place on next layer.
- Top with the remaining fontina and remaining bread slices.
- Press down firmly on sandwich to seal in the filling.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, and nutmeg.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter.
- Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture coating both sides.
- When butter is melted in skillet, add the sandwiches and cook until golden brown.
- Flip sandwich and repeat with other side, adding more butter if necessary.
- Remove from pan, drain on paper towels, and let sit for a few minutes.
- Cut in halves and serve.