Advising the Core Curriculum
The University Curriculum Committee and Faculty Senate have approved the following changes to the 2011-2012 general core requirements for first-year students:
ISem Scheduling Details
- The seven-credit Core Discovery sequence in the first year has been eliminated.
- Students entering on the 2011 catalog and after must take an Integrated Seminar (ISem) course during the Fall or Spring semester of their first year. This course provides first-year students with an opportunity to develop their intellectual curiosity through the study of an interdisciplinary social science/humanities course that emphasizes critical thinking, oral and written communication skills, and an awareness of human diversity.
- Students will be expected to take six (6) credits of humanities, six (6) credits of social sciences, and the three-credit integrated seminar for a total of 15 credits.
- In this transition year, the one-semester ISem courses have titles and descriptions similar to those of previous Core Discovery offerings.
- For more information, please see 'Core Checklist' on the right/at the top of this page or visit the following website: http://www.uidaho.edu/registrar/classes/core/ui2011
Students can choose to take the ISem course either in the fall or spring semester of their first year. Advisors should consider the following information as they plan their curricula and assist students:
- If you offer an introductory course in your major during the Fall semester, consider advising your students to take the ISem in the Spring semester.
- Approximately 30 sections of ISem 101 will be available for Fall semester, with another 30 sections (approximately) available in the Spring
- Once the Fall schedule is published, all ISem courses will be listed under “ISEM,” and not under the CORE prefix.
- Students who do not register for a Fall ISem should be advised to complete a humanities or social science course from the approved list if their schedule permits.
To ensure availability for students, groups of seats will be opened to students on each of the four Vandal Fridays. Please be aware that an ISem section may look full when in fact there are open seats coming available on the next Vandal Friday.
Advising Students Who Need to Meet the Core Discovery Requirement
There are around 300 students who have not satisfactorily completed the 2008-2010 Core Discovery requirement. Please refer to the 'Meeting Core Discovery Requirements' .pdf on the right/at the top of this page for suggestions on advising these students.
Changes to English 090
The English department will no longer offer the English 090, Developmental Writing. Instead, students who would have placed into English 090 will now take English 101 (Introduction to College Writing) and English 095, a co-requisite weekly writing tutorial. Students who have between a 200-440 SAT verbal score or a 1-17 ACT English score should be enrolled in English 095 and English 101. For more information, please see the "Advising English" .pdf on the right/at the top of this page. If you have any questions about the English changes, please email Dr. Jodie Nicotra at email@example.com.
Changes to Math, Statistics & Computer Science
- Stats 150 is no longer offered at the University of Idaho.
- Stats 251 has changed pre-requisite requirements to include all the following: Math 108, 137, 143, 160, 170, or 2 years of high school algebra and permission
For questions about advising students regarding these changes in the Core curriculum, please email firstname.lastname@example.org