This is the one time you are guaranteed to meet with your advisees because they have to get their advisor hold removed. Take advantage, break the ice, help them get comfortable with seeing you more than one time a semester.
1. Meeting Objectives
- Review previous semester's grades; discuss courses with low grades and plan for improvement; explain policy regarding repeating courses
- Check placement scores
- Explain how to use Degree Works
- Discuss Core requirements and check Degree Works
- Discuss major requirements and check Degree Works
- Complete Degree Works Substitution/Waiver form, if needed
- Determine courses for next semester
2. Questions to Ask Student
- Did you take any AP courses or foreign language in high school?
- How was your credit load last semester? Too much? Too little?
- Are you working? If yes, how many hours?
- Which courses did you enjoy?
- Is college what you expected it to be?
3. Goal Setting
- Complete any substitution & waiver requests needed - most commonly for transfer students
- Some of the offices advisors may find themselves referring student to during this meeting include: