Student Union Building
PO Box 444264
Moscow, ID 83844-4264
1031 N. Academic Way,
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
1776 Science Center Drive, Suite 306
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
Points of Distinction
The University of Idaho is a nationally-recognized research institution committed to student success and academic excellence that delivers one of the best educational values in the Pacific Northwest.
We are the state’s flagship institution and one of only 72 national land-grant research universities founded to ensure all citizens have access to a high quality education. We lead in teaching and engaged learning in our undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and professional programs. We excel at interdisciplinary research, service to businesses and communities, and in advancing diversity, citizenship, and global outreach. Through our growing residential and networked campuses we develop leaders who will guide Idaho to global economic success, create a sustainable American West, and address our nation’s most challenging issues.
▼A Student-Centered, Engaged Learning Environment:
- Recognized by Forbes magazine as 33rd in the nation among the 2012 “Top 100 Best Buy Colleges” and 2nd among all national research universities in the Pacific Northwest.
- Ranked by U.S. News and World Report’s 2013 College Guide as 165th in the country 6th among national universities in the Pacific Northwest.
- Recognized by The Princeton Review as one of the “Best Colleges,” the top 15% in America, and one of the top “121 Best Western Colleges” in its 2012 edition.
- Continues to have a record number of National Merit Scholars – more than any other public institution of higher education in the Pacific Northwest.
- Ranked by Outside Magazine in 2012 as one of the “Top 25 Colleges” in the nation that offers a combination of exceptional outdoor recreation activities, an active student culture, and affordability.
- Maintains an 18-to-1 faculty-to-student ratio to ensure students receive the personal attention and support they need to have a transformational learning experience.
- Provides enhanced executive education offerings, from the Legislative Energy Horizon Institute to the Executive Masters of Business Administration degree.
- Offers a highly engaged residential campus and quintessential college town that provide a dynamic 24/7 living and learning environment that rivals that of all major public universities in America.
▼World-class research and learning opportunities:
- Recognized by Washington Monthly magazine’s 2012 College Guide as 65th in the nation and 2nd in the Pacific Northwest among universities that are America’s best in social mobility, research, service and the value of the educational experience.
- Ranked by Forbes magazine’s America’s 2012 Top Colleges as 143rd among national research universities.
- Classified by the prestigious Carnegie Foundation distinction for “high research activity” among national Research Universities.
- The state’s leading research university, attracting grants and contracts of more than $100 million each year to fund innovative research and teaching – nearly three times the amount of all other Idaho universities.
- Conducts cutting edge research in centers and facilities that make the University of Idaho the unrivaled choice for undergraduate research opportunities. In fact, most undergraduate students in research-related fields have opportunities to conduct hands-on research with their faculty mentors.
- Winner of the National Medal of the Arts for the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival – the first time the nation’s top arts honor has been bestowed upon a public university.
- Leads Northwest team of researchers to better understand and plan for a changing climate in the Pacific Northwest, thanks to a $20 million grant from the USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture.
- Leads a network of nine Idaho colleges and Universities in the largest bio-medical research project in Idaho’s history. The Idea Network of Biomedical and Research Excellence – INBRE – creates new, state-of-the-art research facilities and greater research opportunities for faculty and students statewide.
▼A commitment to community service and statewide economic impact:
- Contributes nearly $1 billion to Idaho’s economy through the combined activities of the University and its alumni. That’s nearly 2 percent of the state’s economy.
- Offers degree programs and community learning at the centers in the state and operates 42 extension offices in Idaho, including on the Fort Hall and Coeur d’Alene Indian reservations, and 12 regional research centers.
- Named to the Presidential Honor Roll for Community Service (PDF) for the seventh consecutive year and was only one of five institutions in the Pacific Northwest awarded "with distinction" status. In 2011, an estimated 3,800 students participated in international and local community service projects.
- Increased outreach to non-traditional and minority students, including military veterans and their families, and Hispanic youth.
- Recognized by the Military Times as a "Best for Vets" University.
- Awarded more than 100,000 degrees since 1889.