Alcohol poisoning is a serious situation that can lead to illness, brain damage and death. There are many signs of alcohol poisoning. Knowing these signs and what to do when you see them can save lives. Please read the signs below as well as what to do so you can be prepared. Signs of Alcohol Poisoning
- Mental confusion, stupor, coma
- Can’t be awakened by pinching, prodding or shouting
- Unconscious (passing out)
- Inability to make eye contact
- Slow breathing (fewer than eight breaths per minute)
- Low or irregular breathing (10 seconds or more between breaths)
- Hypothermia (low body temperature), bluish skin color, paleness
What do I do when someone is exhibiting these signs?
- Never leave them alone to “Sleep it off," turn them on their side
- Call 911
- Stay with them to check their breathing and consciousness
- Do not wait for all symptoms to be present before taking action
- Be aware that a person who has passed out may die.
Care for your friends, do what is right when they have had too much to drink. Calling 911 and getting medical attention is more important than a friend being upset, or embarrassed.